North Korea attempts but fails to launch missile: South Korea

In a statement, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis says Trump and his military team "are aware of North Korea's most recent unsuccessful missile launch".

Reuters reported one U.S. official as saying the failed missile was not an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM). He is expected in Seoul on Sunday as part of a 10-day trip to Asia to pledge commitment to opposing the North's weapons programs.

Missiles are paraded across Kim Il Sung Square during a military parade Saturday in Pyongyang, North Korea.

U.S. Pacific Command said the ballistic missile, of a kind not yet determined, was launched from near a submarine base at Sinpo, a port city on North Korea's east coast.

Earlier this week, as tensions worsened between Washington and Pyongyang, Trump ordered a US naval strike group headed by the USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier to the Korean Peninsula in show of force.

Pyongyang has been under United Nations sanctions since 2006, along with an worldwide arms embargo aimed at slowing its development of its banned nuclear and missile programs.

The attempted launch occurred a day after the regime of Kim Jong Un showed off a bevy of new missiles and launchers at a large-scale military parade on its most important holiday, CNN reported.

The failed launch comes a day after North Korea displayed almost 60 missiles at a large military parade to mark the birthday of the country's founder, Kim Il Sung.

There were no further details, and the office said it was analyzing the launch.

"This launch can possibly be a test for a new type of missile or an upgrade", Kim added.

Analysts warn that even failed missile launches provide valuable knowledge to North Korea as it tries to build its weapons program.

The missile launched earlier this month flew about 60 kilometres, but what U.S. officials said appeared to be a liquid-fuelled, extended-range Scud missile only travelled a fraction of its range before spinning out of control. It has said it has developed and would launch a missile that can strike the mainland United States but officials and experts believe it is some time away from mastering the necessary technology.

The White House has said US President Donald Trump has put the North "on notice" while the possibility of US military action against Pyongyang has gained traction following US strikes against Syria on April 7. Mr Wang said that if war occurred, there could be no victor. "The North doesn't seem to be quite at the place to test an ICBM (intercontinental ballistic missile)", he said.

On Friday, a top North Korean diplomat said the country will test missiles where and when it sees fit, and accused the Trump administration of a "vicious and more aggressive foreign policy".

  • Leroy Wright