Latest North Korean missile test ends in premature detonation
- Author: Leroy Wright Apr 16, 2017,
Apr 16, 2017, 12:30
"The North attempted to launch an unidentified missile from near the Sinpo region this morning but it is suspected to have failed", South Korea's Office of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement.
The missile was launched from Sinpo at 6:20 A.M. KST; however, the missile is believed to have failed, reports the South Korean military.
Eastern Time - a missle that blew up nearly immediately, CNN is reporting. "The type of missile is still being assessed".
"Military analysts paid close attention to two new types of intercontinental ballistic missiles enclosed in canister launchers mounted on the backs of trucks - none of which had been displayed before".
Ryol threatened in the interview that North Korea was ready to go war against the U.S. He also said the communist state would continue to develop its nuclear weapons program and conduct tests as its leadership saw fit.
North Korea on Sunday failed in a missile launch from its eastern coast, South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said, but it wasn't immediately clear what kind of missile was sacked.
The event, which appeared to include new intercontinental and submarine-launched ballistic missiles, was a deliberate show of strength.
But that still wouldn't mean we're completely in the clear, as North Korea could move forward with nuclear weapons testing at any moment, particularly when the entire world isn't watching.
Also on show for the first time was the North's submarine launch ballistic missiles (SLBM).
Choe Ryong-hae, one of the most senior military officials in North Korea, was reported to have warned: "We're prepared to respond to an all-out war with an all-out war".
Pence is due in Seoul at the start of a 10-day trip to Asia in what his aides said was a sign of the US commitment to its ally in the face of rising tension over North Korea.
"However, North Korea has a habit of showing off new concepts in parades before they ever test or launch them", Hanham said. Cold launches would also allow the missiles to be fired from silos.
The Associated Press has quoted USA officials as saying the Trump administration will focus on working with China to raise pressure on North Korea rather than stepping in with military force.
Other military hardware at the parade included tanks, multiple rocket launchers and artillery, as well as a solid-fuel missile created to be fired from submarines.
But as speculation mounts that Pyongyang is poised for a "big event", a USA aircraft carrier group is steaming towards the region.
North Korea has in turn warned of a nuclear strike against the United States if provoked.
North Korea has carried out a total of five nuclear tests so far, and according to an expert satellite imagery analysis Pyongyang may be preparing for a sixth test soon.
Vice President Pence was briefed on the launch before flying out of Anchorage, Alaska.
The U.S. had scrambled a carrier battle group led by the USS Carl Vinson to the area near the Korean Peninsula, prompting aggressive comments from North Korea on Friday.