I feared for Dortmund players, admits Klopp
- Author: Julie Sanders Apr 15, 2017,
Apr 15, 2017, 8:39
Borussia Dortmund defender Marc Bartra will be back in training within four weeks after being injured in a bomb attack on the team bus, the club said on Thursday.
European football's governing body has been criticised for rescheduling the game for the day after three explosions struck the Dortmund team coach and put the defender Marc Bartra in hospital.
"It was so loud it reminded me of the war", said one eyewitness of Tuesday's terrorist attempt on the lives of Borussia Dortmund's players, players who went through a uniquely traumatic event as criminals with suspected Islamist motives tried to blow up their bus with three explosive devices.
The attack also left debris lodged in his hand.
He said on Scandinavian TV: "I don't know if people can understand this, but until I was on the pitch in the second half I did not think about football to be honest". And they will have to do so again on Saturday, when Eintracht Frankfurt visits in the Bundesliga.
"They are my everything, the reason I struggle to overcome obstacles and this has been the worst of my life, an experience I would not want anyone in this world [to have]", he wrote.
"We have a very tight fixture list", he said on the club's website.
A leading sports psychologist has suggested it was "a step too far" to expect Borussia Dortmund's players to perform so soon after Tuesday's bomb attack on their team bus. FIFPro, the global players union, says Dortmund should not have played so soon and wants clear guidelines set on dealing with a crisis like that which happened. In the first moment it was a bit of relief, then the more information you hear the more serious it got. They created this atmosphere, but they tried to be at their best and after the game I saw the faces of the players and I saw the shock in their eyes and that was really hard.
Bartra appears to be content with that given other alternatives that the blasts could've caused. A few minutes after this attack, the only question asked was: 'Are you ready to play?' As if we had a beer thrown on our coach.
'To see the stands full of people who love our profession, good people who only want us to make them feel emotions in order to forget the world and above everything in this world in which we live, which is increasingly mad'.
Many in the Dortmund squad said they had not wanted to play, while manager Thomas Tuchel railed at the decision to reschedule the match less than 24 hours after the planned kick-off.
Federal prosecutors said the 26-year-old Iraqi who was arrested - identified only as Abdul Beset A.in line with German privacy laws - allegedly joined IS in Iraq by late 2014 and led a unit of about 10 fighters involved in preparing kidnappings, extortions and killings.
They say he travelled to Turkey in March 2015 and Germany early the following year. "The investigations have so far shown no evidence that the accused participated in the attack".