Rahmat Akilov confesses to Stockholm attack
- Author: Leroy Wright Apr 13, 2017,
Apr 13, 2017, 20:56
A 39-year-old Uzbek man who has been held after Sweden's worst terrorist attack in decades intends to plead guilty, his lawyer said in court Tuesday.
Rakhmat "Akilov confesses to a terrorist crime and accepts his custody detention", his lawyer Johan Eriksson told a court custody hearing in Stockholm.
Akilov allegedly drove the stolen beer truck into a crowd outside an upscale department store in central Stockholm on Friday afternoon.
Swedish authorities remanded Akilov in custody after he admitted to carrying out the attack, court officials said.
However, unlike similar vehicle attacks in Berlin, Nice, and London however, IS has not claimed the incident.
The police commissioner said that they do not know what the device is, but they do know that it should not have been in the truck.
Nine people remained hospitalised, two of them in serious condition.
People gathered on Sergels square to pay their respects and leave flowers.
"We need to detain people when there is a risk they will go underground, and there appear to be around 10,000 to 15,000 cases", said Mr Akesson, whose party won nearly 13 per cent of votes in the 2014 legislative election.
The judge then ordered the hearing to proceed behind closed doors.
However, they declined to comment on whether Akilov had made a confession or was tied to extremist groups, though they have said the 39-year-old is suspected of terrorist crimes.
Hysing said that Sweden's national bomb squad and counter-terrorism unit were being deployed to Stockholm to assist the police. "But a friend wanted to take a coffee so that meant that both of us didn't end up here on the street", she said.
He had been denied residency in Sweden and had expressed sympathy for so-called Islamic State, according to police.
The AP reports that 163,000 asylum-seekers arrived in Sweden in 2015, the highest per capita rate in Europe.
The Aftonbladet and Expressen newspapers reported that he had confessed to the assault, saying he was "pleased with what he had done".
"It can take up to a year to finish the investigation", said the head of national police operations, Mats Lofving.