Explosions in front of Borussia Dortmund team bus leave one injured
- Author: Julie Sanders Apr 12, 2017,
Apr 12, 2017, 11:14
German soccer team Dortmund said Tuesday that its Champions League match against Monaco was canceled after explosions hit team bus.
Spain global Marc Bartra was taken to hospital with an injury to his hand, the club said.
According to Bild, three explosive devices were deposited on the street in front of the bus.
'I think with all the social media we have these days that people pretty much knew what was going on, and then when the postponement was announced officially'. "We're all shocked - nobody thought of a football match in that minute".
Spain worldwide Marc Bartra was injured in explosions which hit the Borussia Dortmund team bus yesterday and saw their Champions League game against Monaco called off, the club confirmed. "I hope that football will be the focus again tomorrow".
"The explosive devices were placed outside the bus".
One player was injured in the attack, Spanish defender Marc Bartra, who officials described as "seriously injured". Players and police were preparing to go ahead with the rescheduled match on Wednesday evening, with heavy security in place.
Dortmund tweeted: "There was an incident on departure of our bus".
The stadium, which is the largest in Germany and holds more than 80,000 spectators, emptied quickly and without incident.
Supporters from both sides were kept in the stadium for some time before being moved out, with Monaco supporters chanting "Dortmund!"
Club chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke said: 'The team are obviously completely shocked'. Dortmund also said the player was "in safety" and that "there is no danger in and around the stadium". But details were sketchy at this point: merely that there had been an incident and that kickoff may be delayed.
He said players ducked for cover, wondering if there would be more explosions. Club spokesman Sascha Fligge said Bartra was operated on late Tuesday for a broken bone in his right wrist and to remove "foreign objects" from his arm.
Dortmund relayed a copy of its Twitter announcement of the explosions inside the stadium to inform fans of events.
Speaking after the stadium was evacuated, Monaco fans said they had "seen love" from their rivals' supporters.
AS Monaco goalkeeper Danijel Subasic told Croatian newspaper 24sata: "We are now in the stadium, in a safe place, but the feeling's awful".