Borussia Dortmund v Monaco postponed after explosion near team bus

German police said "an attack using serious explosives" was launched on the Borussia Dortmund soccer team's bus on Tuesday (April 11), leaving one player injured.

Dortmund are W14-D2-L3 at home in the Champions League since 2012/13 in games that have tended to produce goals as 12 of these saw more than two strikes, whilst seven had more than three.

As a result of the incident, Borussia defender and Spanish global Marc Bartra was injured and taken to a hospital. Players are safe. No hazard in and at the stadium.

"The whole team is in shock".

"Some players have returned from injury and it will take a while for them to get back to their usual level".

"I was deeply disturbed by the explosions which occurred tonight in Dortmund".

Borussia Dortmund said in a statement: "Shortly after the departure of the Borussia Dortmund team bus from the hotel to the stadium there was an incident".

The club said one person, Spanish defender Marc Bartra, has been injured.

"We had to assume, and assumed right from the start, that this was a targeted attack against the team of Borussia Dortmund", Dortmund Police Chief Gregor Lange. "Rather than run out before the full stadium and play in Champions League match, we sit quietly in the locker room and think about where all of this leads".

"This was due to an incident involving the BVB team bus as it left the team hotel for the stadium".

"No one can imagine what it means for us to do without him for so long", Dortmund coach Thomas Tuchel said of Reus last week.

"It's a 50-50 battle", Schmelzer said in comments published in Monday's edition of German football magazine "Kicker".

In the immediate aftermath of the explosions, Dortmund said there was "no cause for concern" for those at the stadium, and added the club were in close contact with the emergency services and UEFA. Other Dortmund players were said to be "shocked" but with no injuries.

A letter was found near the site of the explosion, and investigators are looking into its authenticity, police say.

"I think with all the social media we have these days that people pretty much knew what was going on, and then when the postponement was announced officially".

Bartra, 26, joined Dortmund for 8 million euros ($8.5 million) a year ago from Barcelona, after coming through the Catalan club's youth system.

  • Julie Sanders


IN CASE YOU MISSED IT