Bartra has surgery on wrist after Dortmund bus incident

At around 7.15pm (1715 GMT) three explosions detonated just minutes after Dortmund's team bus left the squad's hotel and headed for their quarterfinal, first-leg, tie against Monaco.

Dortmund police chief Gregor Lange said late Tuesday that police assume the team bus was intentionally targeted, but that the origin of the attack was unclear, Reuters reports.

Police in the German city of Dortmund say investigators "are working on the assumption" that the explosions that rocked a professional soccer team's bus were caused by "serious explosive devices". "The letter claims responsibility for what happened", prosecutor Sandra Luecke told journalists.

The explosions shattered a window of the bus and burnt it on the right hand side, injuring player Marc Bartra.

Spanish defender Marc Bartra, 26, suffered injuries to an arm and hand, the team said. His condition is unknown.

"We did not know if more would come", he said.

Burki said Bartra was "hit by splinters of broken glass".

The country's national news agency DPA reported there were no indications the attack was terror-related, citing security sources.

"Our task now is to process this because in less than 24 hours we need to play", Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke said, according to a CNN translation.

"You can't get pictures like that out of your head".

"We hope that he will make a speedy recovery", Dortmund captain Marcel Schmelzer said on the team website.

The match, a quarter-final first leg, was called off and rescheduled for Wednesday.

Police officers stand guard at the site where German soccer team Dortmund's bus was damaged by explosions in Dormund, Germany, on April 11, 2017.

They tweeted: "Dortmund confirmed In the explosion @MarcBartra was injured and is now in the hospital". He has made 12 appearances for the Spanish national team.

The German national team, which included some Dortmund players, was also in the Stade de France in Paris when jihadists launched their attacks in the French capital, leaving about 130 dead.

Security was heavy after the explosions and the stadium was evacuated. The club thanked supporters of opponent Monaco for their "patience and understanding" and for chanting "Dortmund!"

  • Julie Sanders