Stormers end Waikato Chiefs' winning start, Sunwolves break through

The Stormers put one of their darkest Super Rugby days behind them by knocking over the Chiefs in a thriller.

Before SANZAAR confirmed the structure that Super Rugby will take from next season onwards Round 7 in the current format delivered some outstanding rugby.

The decision over which teams will be excluded from the competition will be made by the respective South Africa and Australia rugby unions.

The Sharks fluffed a number of chances to score further tries in slippery conditions, with Bosch himself a culprit as he spilled the ball while trying to dot down, and Reinach was denied a second by the TMO who ruled he had knocked on.

The game of the weekend - which might even turn out to be one of the games of the season - was at Newlands between the Stormers and the Chiefs.

In a brilliant display of running rugby from both sides, the Stormers scored tries through Sikhumbuzo Notshe, Siya Kolisi, Robert du Preez and SP Marais.

Stormers gained a measure of revenge of for last season's humiliating play-off defeat by maintaining its 100 per cent start to the season with a thrilling 34-26 beating of Chiefs, whose own unbeaten start came to an end.

Round 7 started at the Westpac Stadium where the Hurricanes' strong first forty helped to push them to a 38-28 victory over the Waratahs.

The Hurricanes were able to use a scintillating first half to beat the Waratahs, despite having All Blacks flyhalf Beauden Barrett sent off for two yellow cards.

The Blues' code-hopping star - who had not played 15s rugby since the 2015 World Cup final - twice used his trademark offloads as the Highlanders defence hung on for the win.

Tries from prop Charlie Faumuina and lock Gerard Cowley-Tuioti helped the Blues to a 20-13 halftime lead but five-pointers from fullback Ben Smith and centre Malakai Fekitoa as well as 16 points from Marty Banks's boot gave the Highlanders a fourth win of the season.

Yu Tamura nailed a late penalty as the Sunwolves stunned the Bulls.

Francois Brummer had the opportunity to snatch the game away with four minutes remaining but his penalty missed the and the Sunwolves prevailed.

The Brumbies totted up 33 unanswered points in the second half after being held 10-10 by the Reds at half-time.

Australia's Western Force won the battle of the threatened franchises with a free-scoring 46-41 win over South Africa's Southern Kings in Perth on Sunday, while the Golden Lions, Central Cheetahs and Melbourne Rebels all had weekend byes.

In the last Saturday match, the Sharks pipped the Jaguares 18-13 in a error-strew match in Durban.

Seeing a gap he exploded, bringing play up to five metres outside the Stormers 22 and finding Pulu out wide who scored in the right corner.

  • Julie Sanders