Stockholm truck attack suspect was failed asylum-seeker; 2nd man arrested

He said the four victims killed in the Stockholm attack included one person from Britain, one from Belgium and two Swedes.

No-one has claimed responsibility for Friday's attack but Sweden's police chief said authorities were confident they had detained the man who carried it out.

But police said they were ever more convinced that the Uzbek man was the driver of the commandeered truck and may have acted alone.

Police in Sweden say the man they have arrested is "likely" the driver of a truck which drove into pedestrians on a major shopping and tourist street in Stockholm, causing multiple injuries and fatalities.

Ten of the 15 victims injured in the attack are still being treated in hospital, four of whom remain in a serious condition.

It was not clear whether he was suspected of being the driver of the truck.

Joachim Kemiri, who was born in Sweden to a Tunisian father and a Swedish mother, said migrants and refugees had been arriving in too-large numbers.

Police had found a suspect device in the cab of the truck.

The suspect had applied for residency in Sweden in 2014 but his application was rejected in December a year ago, another police spokesman, Jan Evensson, told reporters.

A British father who was killed in the Stockholm terror attack has been described as a "talented, compassionate and caring" person.

Friday's attack has deeply shocked the usually tranquil Scandinavian nation, which prides itself on its openness and tolerance.

Jonas Hysing of Sweden's national police says "we know he has been sympathetic to extremist organizations".

Victoria, 39, was visibly teary-eyed as she lay a bundle of roses at the incident, which Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lofven called indicative of "a terrorist attack" in an interview with reporters Friday. Heavily armed officers guarded the area and several police vans were present.

A nationwide manhunt was launched and one person was arrested today following the latest use of a vehicle as a weapon in Europe.

People leave flowers on the steps at Sergels Torg following Friday's attack in central Stockholm.

"It is very hard if it is a single individual who is not part of a wider conspiracy or a more organized planning", Thornberg, head of the Sapo security police, told Swedish radio.

"Terrorists want us to be afraid, want us to change our behaviour, want us to not live our lives normally, but that is what we're going to do".

She added that the Vietnamese Embassy in Sweden is closely coordinating with local authorised agencies to follow the situation and give timely support to Vietnamese citizens in case of emergency.

Stockholm city officials, meanwhile, had moved thousands of flowers at a makeshift memorial to a nearby square after an aluminum fence outside the Ahlens store was overwhelmed with tributes and threatened to collapse.

Flags flew at half-mast across Stockholm on Saturday as the city slowly returned to normal a day after the attack.

"We express our support to the government and people of Sweden in countering the worldwide terrorism", the telegram reads.

Swedish media are reporting overnight police raids to bring people in for questioning as authorities investigate the deadliest attack in Stockholm in years.

  • Leroy Wright