Stockholm terror attack: 'Suspect device' found in lorry, confirm Swedish police

The main suspect in carrying out a truck-ramming attack in Stockholm, Sweden on Friday is a 39-year-old Uzbekistan native who was apparently on the radar of security services, Swedish officials said on Saturday.

Bystrom declined to comment on Swedish media reports that the arrested man was a 39-year-old from Uzbekistan.

Police said they had now identified three of the four dead, one of whom was a Belgian citizen, according to a tweet from Belgium's foreign minister.

A man arrested in Stockholm after Friday's fatal lorry attack is believed to be the driver, Swedish police say.

Sweden's SAPO security police said Sunday it was working to find "any abettor or network involved in the attack". "We can't go into what it is right now.whether it's a bomb or a flammable device".

Four people were killed and 15 wounded in what the Swedish Prime Minister said had appeared to have been a terrorist attack.

"We are focusing on how he entered the country, where has he been", the police chief said.

"I wish to offer my honest condolences to the families and loved ones of those killed and injured in this horrific incident", he said.

On Friday, the truck crashed into a crowd of pedestrians in the center of Stockholm.

He remains officers' prime suspect for the attack, which saw a hijacked lorry plough into the front of a shop in the pedestrian thoroughfare of Drottninggatan.

As per The Guardian, Police in Sweden's capital confirmed that the person was arrested "on suspicion of a terrorist crime through murder".

Broadcaster SVT says at least five people have been killed in the attack but police could not immediately confirm that. Lofven declared Monday a national day of mourning, with a minute of silence at noon.

Prime Minister Theresa May pledged solidarity with Sweden in the wake of the attack, with a Downing Street spokesman saying she had called her counterpart, Stefan Lofven, to express her condolences.

Flags flew at half-mast at public buildings across Stockholm.

The health service said four of the 10 were seriously injured, two are in intensive care, and the one child was not seriously injured.

He said he stayed in the bus a bit longer, before taking shelter in a clothing store on Kungsgatan.

  • Leroy Wright