Second suspect in Stockholm truck attack detained

"Everything points to the fact that this is a terrorist attack".

The gray Stockholm skyline was dotted with flags flying half-staff on a cool morning where a few people walked the quiet streets near the scene of the truck attack.

Last December, 12 people were killed and at least 48 people were wounded when a truck drove into a Christmas Market in Berlin.

Police spokesman Lars Bystrom declined to comment on Swedish media reports that the arrested person was a 39-year-old man from Uzbekistan.

The man was arrested "on suspicion of a terrorist crime through murder", Karin Rosander, a communications director at the Swedish Prosecution Authority, said.

In an editorial, Sweden's biggest broadsheet Dagens Nyheter wrote: "What we feared for a long time finally happened".

The beer company that owns the vehicle said it was hijacked outside a nearby restaurant, where it was making a delivery.

The image showed a man wearing a white sweater and dark hoodie under a military green jacket, with dark stubble on his face.

A nationwide manhunt was launched and police arrested the man in the Stockholm area.

Prime Minister Stefan Lofven, who cut short a visit in southwestern Sweden to return to Stockholm, said he had strengthened the country's border controls.

"Sweden has been attacked", Lofven wrote in a Twitter post. They did not rule out the possibility other attackers were involved.

In July 2016, more than 80 people were killed and over 200 injured when a terrorist used a 20-ton truck to plow into crowds who had gathered in Nice to watch Bastille Day fireworks.

In London on March 22 this year, a man in a vehicle ploughed into pedestrians on Westminster Bridge, killing four, and then stabbed a policeman to death before being shot by police.

"We are providing food to the people and to the police that work here at night".

The terror attack most probably meant to target the busiest area of Stockholm, Drottninggatan which is a pedestrian street and is located near the central subway station in Stockholm.

Helicopters hovered overhead across the city, sirens wailed, and police vans criss-crossed the streets using loudspeakers to urge people to head straight home and avoid crowded places.

Large public buildings were evacuated and closed down, such as shopping malls and cinemas, while parliament was on lockdown for several hours. Officials announced flags at government offices would fly at half-mast Saturday to honor the victims.

"There are police reports saying it is unsafe, but people are still moving in all directions as transport is shut off", said Rachel Weiner, a Stockholm resident.

In neighboring Finland, President Sauli Niinisto said he was shocked by the "maniac act of terror", adding "every terror attack is to be equally condemned".

  • Leroy Wright