Departing 'O'Reilly Factor' Advertisers Now In Other Fox Shows

- In 2004, O'Reilly was accused of and sued for sexual harassment by Andrea Mackris, a woman with whom he settled out of court.

The Times report stated that the allegations against O'Reilly involved women who worked for him or had appeared on his show. Other big names included Toyota, Mercedes Benz, and British pharmaceutical company GlaxoSmithKlin.

And yet, by the most important yardstick for television executives, Fox has been thriving as never before. Which means that O'Reilly's formerly untouchable position at Fox seems to be in peril.

Tuesday's episode included no less than 15 promo spots for Fox News' sibling Fox Business Network channel. Ailes is facing a new sexual harassment case filed by a Fox News contributor, Julie Roginsky. (Two of these women had already come forward).

A report in the New York Times states that O'Reilly and his employer spent $13 million on five women trying to convince them to stop pursuing litigation.

However, the allegations and defection hit hard on the shares of the 21st Century Fox because they fell 1.2% to $31.75 at the close in NY. On Monday's and Tuesday's shows, O'Reilly did not address either the sexual harassment allegations or the withdrawal of sponsors for his program. On the other hand, if in a few weeks the only ads you see during The O'Reilly Factor are spots for Life Alert and cash-for-gold hotlines, maybe that will be enough to get this unapologetic misogynist off the air for good.

"The O'Reilly Factor" had lost about a dozen advertisers by Tuesday, with German carmaker BMW, Japan's Mitsubishi and US-based insurance company Allstate pulling their ads from the show. Mercedes Benz, GlaxoSmithKline, Caldwell Banker and Allstate are among the latest companies to pull ads from the show.

"We are continually reviewing our advertising to ensure it is conducted in a responsible manner aligned with our values", a GSK spokesperson said.

It's unclear how many advertisers would have to back out to impact the future of the show, but either way, this is really bad news for the network. Fox is the home for fans of President Donald Trump and Trump himself, who frequently tweets about its shows and reporting.

According to research firm Kantar Media, O'Reilly is Fox News' most lucrative producer, earning the media giant more than $178m (£143m) in ads in 2015 and $118.6m in 2016.

Though Fox News has remained largely silent on the issue, its parent company, 21st Century Fox, issued its support of the host in a statement that said it takes claims "very seriously".

Lord, the publication said, urged employees with complaints to contact him, the company's compliance officers or the law firm, Paul Weiss, hired by Fox when the allegations against Ailes first arose.

"They need to sweep that place out with a shovel", Sonnenfeld said.

"Fox News is exquisitely adept at targeting and over-delivering to the portion of the audience that believes in Donald Trump, that loves Donald Trump, that doubts the doubters of Donald Trump", Klein said.

Now, just hours later TEN MORE businesses have followed suit!

Fox moved swiftly against others faced with accusations of wrongdoing, including Ailes. If they choose to do so with O'Reilly, it could crush the increasingly struggling network.

  • Zachary Reyes