UK boat race likely still on despite suspected WWII bomb

Earlier, Cambridge won the women's race in a record time to end a run of four successive defeats and take their overall lead over Oxford to 42-30.

Relive all of the action with Sportsmail's TOM FARMERY.

A major rowing race in London was closed to being called off, after an unexploded World War II bomb was found in the River Thames. Follow Sportsmail's TOM FARMERY for live coverage.

The women's race should start at 4.35pm with the men's commencing an hour later. A shaky start of missed strokes forced Cambridge further away from the Surrey bend than they might have liked, and a superb Oxford boat put itself a quarter-length ahead before Cambridge had developed any rhythm.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "Police were called by a member of the public at approximately 1.50pm on Saturday reporting what they thought to be World War Two ordnance on the Chelsea shoreline by Putney Bridge".

His resolution paid off as Oxford managed to keep Cambridge at bay and reclaim their title, winning by around a length and a half.

The pre-race omens didn't bode well for Cambridge, with cox Hugo Ramambason asking the umpires to delay the start until conditions on an increasingly choppy Thames began to settle.

The jubilant light blue team roared with delight as they crossed the finish line, the crowds joining in a chorus of three cheers.

By the first mile marker they had opened up an unassailable lead of 10 seconds and were left to race only against themselves and the clock, winning in a record time that was faster than their men's team previous year.

CUWBC winners the 2017 Boat Race on the Thames.

Team-mate Oliver Cook added: "It wasn't easy". Asked what he had said by way of commiseration to his vanquished former team-mates, Warr revealed: "I just said "good race", nothing much more than that". Their rhythm was superb and was able to resist the occasional Cambridge surges in what was an excellent competitive race.

  • Zachary Reyes