Man chokes to death at doughnut shop in Denver
- Author: Larry Hoffman Apr 04, 2017,
Apr 04, 2017, 22:02
A man died Sunday after choking on a doughnut, according to news reports.
Travis Malouff died on Sunday "from asphyxia, due to obstruction of the airway", at the Voodoo Doughnut shop, the office of the Denver medical examiner said in a statement.
Officials arrived at the popular doughnut shop around 1:30am on Sunday in the 1500 block of East Colfax Avenue after they were notified that Malouff was choking.
Travis Malouff, 42, was at Voodoo Doughnut in Denver participating in the chain's "Tex-Ass Challenge", where the goal is to eat a one-pound glazed doughnut - the equivalent of six Voodoo doughnuts - in 80 seconds or less.
'It's tragic, ' Malouff's father, Curtis, told 9News.
"They tried so hard to do everything", an unidentified witness told KUSA-TV. "It was clear that nobody was trained and they were just reacting", said a witness.
Panic ensued when customers failed to perform the Heimlich on Malouff, according to the report. "You [have to] do something, I think". While Jack-n-Grill offers free food for life to any woman who can finish its seven-pound breakfast burrito. "That's too much for someone to eat".
The Denver Police Department and Denver Health medical center declined to comment on the case.
An eating contest is being blamed for another senseless death just days after a CT college student choked on a stack of pancakes.
In that case, 20-year-old Caitlin Nelsen was taken to the hospital during her choking episode on March 30 but died two days later, on April 2.