Man who drove suspicious car near White House is detained

The Secret Service detained a man who drove up to a White House checkpoint and claimed to have a bomb in his vehicle, security officials told CNN. He did not make it over the White House fence.

In Saturday's episode, the intruder stopped his auto at the White House checkpoint just after 11 pm and got out, declaring, "There's a bomb in the trunk", as he appeared to clasp something in his hand, according to a report issued by the Metropolitan Police Department.

It was the second security-related incident near the White House on Saturday.

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

The president was in Florida this weekend and not at the White House at the time of either incident.

Earlier Saturday, someone jumped a low metal barrier just outside a White House fence. Tran, who the Secret Service said was carrying two cans of Mace, is charged with entering restricted grounds while carrying a unsafe weapon and faces up to 10 years in prison.

CNN reported that the man made a threat claiming he had a bomb in his vehicle, and that he was immediately arrested and the auto in which he was traveling seized.

The Washington Metropolitan Police Department identified the man as Jonathan Tran, 26, of Milpitas, Calif.

Keoughan had pulled up to the White House an hour prior to his bomb threat, saying he had an appointment with President Donald Trump, the office said.

A Secret Service official speaking on condition of anonymity said that person was not found to be carrying any weapons.

On November 11, 2011, an Idaho man fired an assault rifle at the White House, hitting the residential wing of the building at least seven times.

Jason Chaffetz, the chairman of the House Oversight Committee, told CNN on Friday that Tran was able to "look through" a White House window and roam the grounds undetected for 17 minutes while Trump was inside.

The Secret Service stressed that the intruder never made it inside White House. On 10 March a man scaled the White House fence and was on the property's grounds for 16 minutes before being detained. "In accordance with proper protocols, Secret Service personnel increased their posture of readiness", he added.

  • Larry Hoffman