After Trump administration rescinded transgender student directive, states drop lawsuit challenging it
- Author: Larry Hoffman Mar 03, 2017,
Mar 03, 2017, 6:56
This comes after the Trump Administration rolled back federal protections on transgender students last week.
In a 10-page memo issued this week, Schools Chancellor Carmen Fariña said the guidelines are meant to help schools promote "the educational and social integration of transgender and gender nonconforming students and ensure a safe learning environment free from discrimination and harassment".
According to new guidelines issued this week, New York City public school staff will be required to address students by their preferred pronouns, the New York Daily News reported. Thank goodness, this does not mean any change for Iowa's transgender students.
"It is important to note that for students who are gender-nonconforming or who do not prescribe to the gender binary, they may prefer gender-neutral pronouns such as 'they, ' 'ze, ' or other pronouns", the memo states.
The Trump administration recently rescinded protections for transgender students that allowed them to use bathrooms corresponding with their gender identity. "As education and law enforcement leaders, it is imperative that we protect all students as well as the information we have about them to the fullest extent possible under the law".
The several states, led by Texas, who have been suing the federal government over the Obama administration's pro-transgender policies will be withdrawing their lawsuit soon - a result of the new administration's policy shift - the Justice Department announced in a court filing Thursday. "Schools must be proactive in creating a school culture that respects and values all students and fosters understanding of gender identity and expression within the school community".
"Our guidelines here in New York City are here to stay", he said.