Killer guilty of £1m raid on Simon Cowell's west London mansion
- Author: Julie Sanders Mar 01, 2017,
Mar 01, 2017, 5:42
Darren February, 33, has been convicted at Isleworth Crown Court of burgling Simon Cowell's Holland Park home and stealing jewellery worth nearly £1 million.
He broke in to the £10 million mansion on December 4, 2015, while Mr Cowell was upstairs sleeping with partner Lauren Silverman and their young son Eric.
February already had 37 burglary convictions.
February was jailed for eight and a half years in May last year for causing death by unsafe driving, and was then linked to the raid on Mr Cowell's home.
Darren February was convicted of illegally entering the X Factor judge's home, in Holland Park, and stealing his property.
The jury took less than an hour to find him guilty following a four-day trial.
Isleworth Crown Court heard that February pulled off the burglary while Simon's main security guard, Simon Williams, was in the toilet.
He has committed 58 offences spanning two decades, and was first convicted aged just 12.
February was identified by a security worker as he fled, and later by police who were aware of his "prolific" sprees on previous occasions.
Cowell, in a statement read to the court, said the safe was open at the time so his partner Lauren Silverman could "quietly get her jewellery" ahead of a flight overseas the morning after.
He said: "I wish to say that no-one has the right or authority to steal from Lauren or myself and I will go to court if required".
He said the couple were "very concerned" for their then two-year-old son Eric when they were woken and told the break-in had taken place.
Cowell said among the jewellery taken were watches worth £200,000, diamond rings worth Â£500,000, diamond earrings valued at £220,000 and diamond bracelets worth £50,000.
The items stolen - worth £950,000 - have never been recovered.
He was remanded in custody until sentencing on Wednesday morning.