Attack on Syrian security forces in Homs kills dozens

The sound of gunfire and explosions had been heard since early in the day and those killed included a senior officer, the British-based war monitor said.

The head of the city's military intelligence is said to be among the dead.

The governor of Homs province, Talal Barzani, told The Associated Press news agency there were three blasts in total, killing more than 20 people, and wounding many others.

Suicide terrorists blew themselves up with explosive belts in two security centers in Homs city, claiming lives of many people and injuring others.

Security forces locked down the city centre.

Twin suicide attacks on military installations in Syria's government-held city of Homs have killed at least 10 people. The Syrian Observatory said Saturday's blasts took place in the heavily guarded Ghouta and Mahatta neighbourhoods.

State television paid tribute to the "martyrs" in the latest bombings.

Responsibility for the Saturday attacks was later claimed by the al-Nusra Front group.

Separately, a suicide attack killed two Turkish soldiers in Al-Bab on Friday as they carried out road checks.

Saturday's attack comes as the United Nations is struggling to get a new round of peace talks off the ground aimed at ending the six-year civil war which has killed more than 310,000 people.

  • Leroy Wright