Senior Yemeni general killed in Houthi missile attack: military source
- Author: Leroy Wright Feb 24, 2017,
Feb 24, 2017, 14:04
Yemeni government forces made gains around the Red Sea coastal town of Mokha in heavy fighting overnight as they rebuffed a rebel counter-offensive, a military source said yesterday.
Maj Gen Ahmed Saif al-Yafei is said to have died in the attack outside the port city of Mokha, according to the BBC.
The source said more than 30 soldiers of the Saudi-backed Yemeni forces were injured in the missile attack conducted by Houthis in Mocha.
President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi's government, backed by a Saudi-led coalition, has been trying to retake the country from the Houthis for almost two years. A total of seven officers were killed, including al-Yafie, and 25 were wounded, they said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media.
Al Yafei participated and commanded the Saudi-backed Yemeni government forces in the large military operation that kicked out the Shiite Houthi gunmen from Aden and other neighboring provinces in 2015.
McGoldrick told reporters in Sana'a last month that the figure was based on casualty counts given by health facilities and that the actual number might be higher.
Some 11,000 Yemenis, including women and children, have lost their lives in the deadly military campaign.
Meanwhile, Yemen's army spokesman Brigadier General Sharaf Luqman praised the "stinging and painful" retaliatory missile attacks against Saudi Arabia.
Yemen fell into civil war in 2014, when the Houthis and allied forces of former President Ali Abdullah Saleh overran capital Sanaa and other parts of the country. The war on Yemen has killed more than 10,000 people.