A Nerve Agent Killed Kim Jong Un's Half Brother, Authorities Say

North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un's half brother was assassinated with a lethal nerve agent manufactured for chemical warfare and listed by the United Nations as a weapon of mass destruction, Malaysian police said Friday. Khalid Abu Bakar, the Inspector General of Malaysia, said in a media release that the substance was identified by the Centre for Chemical Weapons in its preliminary analysis.

According to news reports, Kim died shortly after two women apparently rubbed or sprayed substances on his face in the Kuala Lumpur airport on February 13. He also denied that Malaysian police officers had been sent to Macau, the Chinese territory where Kim Jong-nam and his family had been living under Beijing's protection.

Nerve agents are the most toxic and rapidly acting of all the known chemical warfare agents.

The two suspected attackers, and Indonesian woman and a Vietnamese woman, are in custody. Plus, cyanide may be turned into a deadly gas when mixed with an acid, says Greene Shepherd, a doctor of pharmacy and professor at the University of North Carolina.

Police are now investigating on how the agent managed to get into Malaysia. The weird murder has ratcheted up tensions between Malaysia and North Korea and led to an global investigation into who is behind the killing; South Korea accused its northern neighbor of the deed, though they've denied involvement.

Malaysia has not blamed the North Korean state for the death, but says North Koreans were clearly behind it.

North Korea had strongly objected to Malaysia conducting an autopsy on the man's body, saying that he carried a diplomatic passport and therefore was not subject to local laws.

Interpol has put an alert out to apprehend four suspects who are believed to have fled Malaysia on the day of the attack and police also hunting two other North Koreans believed to remain in Malaysia, including an employee at the state-owned airline Air Koryo.

The statement from Pyongyang comes just a day after a press conference in which Malaysian police investigating the assassination said an intruder attempted to break into the morgue where Kim's body is being held-another weird twist to an already unusual case. Surveillance footage shows a woman running up to a man believed to be Kim, grabbing his face, and running away. He reportedly suffered seizures then died in an ambulance on his way to hospital.

North Korea's ambassador to Kuala Lumpur has said the Malaysian investigation can not be trusted, and that the three suspects that have been detained should be released immediately.

The Malaysian police has also sought access to a North Korean diplomat in Kuala Lumpur and several other suspects in connection with the murder.

  • Leroy Wright