Night Tube strike threat six months after launch

The unions claimed drivers on the weekend service, which started in August, had been "blocked" from applying for full-time jobs on London Underground.

Just months after finally hitting the tracks, Night Tube services could be halted by industrial action.

The Rail Maritime and Transport Union (RMT) said it was balloting members over a block on career progression, which it said had been imposed by London Underground.

The Night Tube now operates on the Central, Victoria, Jubilee, Piccadilly and Northern lines.

Peter McNaught, operations director for the Central line, said: "I apologise to customers for the disruption that this unnecessary strike will cause".

RMT leader Mick Cash said the night tube drivers" policy, which is different to that covering other drivers, was "blatantly discriminatory", adding that "night tube train operators have been prevented from moving into vacant full-time positions" and operators "do not attract the overtime rate of pay until they exceed 35 hours in a week'.

Commuters heading into London will not be able to use the Central line before 7am on Wednesday if the planned Tube strike goes ahead.

London Underground have fervently denied this and said the "moves are in accordance with TfL's agreements with the unions".

"We invite the union to meet with us to discuss any issues that need to be resolved and there is no need to threaten industrial action".

'To up the ante, LU have now written to us confirming that they will be bulldozing through the displacements regardless.

There will be no service on the Central line east of Leytonstone and services on the rest of the line will be reduced.

'Our members will be sent out from pillar to post to plug gaps that are exclusively down to staffing shortages.

The Waterloo and City line will also be affected if the strike proceeds.

"With massive budget cuts in the pipeline at LU this is a straw in the wind as to how the company expects to operate in the future".

  • Leroy Wright