Guillermo Del Toro says Hellboy 3 is dead
- Author: Salvatore Jensen Feb 21, 2017,
Feb 21, 2017, 20:14
Del Toro promised to sit down with Hellboy's main creative team if that poll proved popular (it did: roughly 70% of respondents said "Hell yes"), and it appears that he made good on that promise in the time since.
In January this year the director polled his Twitter followers to gauge interest in "Hellboy 3", saying he'd meet with Ron Perlman and Mike Mignola if he got over 100k votes. "The hard fact is that the movie's going to need about $120 million and there's nobody knocking down our doors to give it to us", he admitted during a Television Critic's Association Q&A. "Hellboy 3 Sorry to report", he wrote on Tuesday morning. Must report that 100% the sequel will not happen. "And that is to be the final thing about it", he tweeted.
It seems Del Toro followed up on that scientific poll he took last month, in which he asked Twitter to vote yea or very much yea on the trilogy capper. Now that he has had discussions, there's confirmation that a third movie in this series is off the table.
The first Hellboy movie was released in 2004 and earned $99 million worldwide, while its 2008 sequel, The Golden Army, earned $160 million. In the past, del Toro has made no secret about the fact that Hellboy 3 would be the most expensive of the bunch, so that made the trilogy-capper that much more hard to get made. Both he and Perlman had previously expressed a desire to make third film.