Trump reaffirms commitment to one-China policy

But not anymore. The Commander in Chief had a lengthy phone conversation with Chinese President Xi Jinping Thursday night, and Trump says he will honor the one-China policy after all.

In a letter to Chinese President Xi Jinping, Trump said he is looking forward to working with Xi to develop a "constructive relationship that benefits both the United States and China".

A statement from the White House said Trump "agreed, at the request of President Xi, to honor our "one-China" policy".

President-elect Donald Trump spoke with Taiwan's president Tsai Ing-wen on December 2, soon after his election win, breaking with decades of diplomatic precedent and drawing a harsh rebuke from China's foreign ministry.

The readout released by the White House described the call as "extremely cordial", and said "representatives of the United States and China will engage in discussions and negotiations on various issues of mutual interest".

Earlier, Trump had attracted criticism from China for saying that the U.S.

The phone call came nearly three weeks into Trump's presidency and after he had made several similar calls - not all cordial - with heads of state.

Commenting on the matter, Lo Chih-cheng (羅致政), a legislator and director of the DPP's International Affairs Department, said it is crucial to note that Washington's "one China" policy is not the same as Beijing's "one China principle".

After weeks of speculation that he would break with nearly four decades of USA foreign policy, President Donald Trump will now stay in line with the country's official "One China" policy.

The call followed a letter sent by Mr Trump to Mr Xi on Thursday - the president's first direct approach to the Chinese leader.

During the phone call, President Xi said that China is ready to boost mutually beneficial cooperation with the U.S.in various fields such as trade and economy, investment, science and technology, energy, culture and infrastructure.

"It is known to all that since President Trump took office, China and the US have been in close contact", Lu said.

As a presidential candidate, Trump accused China of unfair trade practices and of undervaluing its currency.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang said the call was "an arrangement that had been previously agreed", but declined to say who initiated the conversation.

"I don't think he intends to sabotage bilateral ties, which would inevitably hurt USA national interests", Ma said.

  • Zachary Reyes


IN CASE YOU MISSED IT